Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You’ve Made Your Bed, Now You Must Lay In It


What the hell kind of a saying is that?  It’s a statement that completely takes a person’s power away.  So I make my bed, and then that’s it?  It’s over?!  I have to sleep in it!  Why couldn’t I just choose to sleep elsewhere; on another bed, on the floor, in a tent?  Or why couldn’t I just remake the bed and sleep in a different form I shaped it in?  Just like I rewrite or respeak my words, I can remake my bed!

So the idea behind the saying is if I have chosen a path, I better go with it.  No matter what affects that choice has had on my life, good or bad, I must stick to it.  That absolutely frustrates me!

As of late, I have crossed many paths with people who have said this message, maybe not in these exact words, but pretty much that they are helpless to the choices they have made.  This saddens me.

Let’s step back, look straight on into our choices, accept that we made our bed, and decide if it is comfortable to sleep in.  And if it is not, let’s find a different comforter, better pillows, or silkier sheets.  But let’s not succumb to the uncomfortable bed that this saying most definitely eludes to us sleeping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment