Friday, September 9, 2011

The Present Moment


Lately, it has become a topic of conversation between my dear friend Mike Sturgis and I about the Present Moment.   Many a moments we have discussed how people always are thinking about what has happened in the past, or thinking of what may happen in the future, and lose focus of the only thing that matters; NOW.  We are conditioned to prepare, prepare, prepare for future unknowns, and we waste the present moment regretting what has happened before, wishing we could have done things differently.

It is in the breath.  It is consciously breathing now and feeling that breath, and acknowledging that we are existing in this Present Moment, not in the past nor in the future, but now.  Our present thoughts, emotions, actions, are the only thing we have complete control over!  Our action, our choice, our reaction…we cannot change the past, and we cannot predict the future.

Now this is a hard task.  It is not simple to remember our present moment.  It is easy to let worry, regret, anticipation, excitement, fear, all of these emotions, take us over and veer us away from what is happening presently.  I am challenged with that presently.  I acted in a way that shames me, and I am battling my feelings of regret, and trying to understand that I am here now and my past can never be changed, and I must forgive myself and choose that moment in time as a lesson to be learned.

And instead of concentrating on that other moment, I am attempting to work very hard now to concentrate, acknowledge, and appreciate my present moment.  I am typing on my wonderful new computer, enjoying a mix Amalia Gonzalez made for me, and sitting in the middle seat in row 7 in a hot, quiet airplane, on the way to Newark, New Jersey, all the while taking deep breath after deep breath.  What else can I do? I’ve got a backpack and I am headed on an adventure, and the only thing I am 100% sure about right now is that I am flyingJ

I ask you to join me.  Think about your present moment right now.  Where are you?  What are you doing?  Take a breath with me and feel it…I know this is some hippy dippy shit, but seriously, appreciate it.  Because truly it is the only thing that really exists; your Present Moment.

I also invite you to join me in writing comments related or unrelated to my blog.  I would love for this blog to be interactive; a conversation where we explore ourselves and our thoughts and try to help each other grow.    

2 comments:

  1. Just read your blog. And just took my breath. Thank you for both!! LOVE your writing, your thoughts, your friendship, your spirit, and most of all your beautiful heart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never thanked you for these kind words christy! thank you:) you are a wonderful woman and i am so happy to have stayed connected our entire lives. that is very difficult to find in life, and i truly am excited to share many many years to come with you!
    peace and love always...amani

    ReplyDelete