Friday, September 16, 2011

Only Time WIll Tell...

...words I recently heard.  So many times I have heard these words.  Sometimes you just want to kick them in the ass, right?  Those words drive me nuts, but they sure are the truth, aren't they?!  There are only so many things we know for sure, and this is one of them.  Only time will tell...

A couple of days ago I went on a hike with one of my closest, dearest friends, Alicia Morrison (once Pasko:))  We must have covered every topic under the sun.  I foresee a couple of blogs formulating from that conversation, but who knows, only time will tell:)

Ego
Do we let it run us, or do we run it?  That is the question, or at least it's mine:)  I am trying so hard to learn how to control my ego.  It's not easy!  But the more true you are to yourself, the better you understand and respect yourself, the easier it becomes.  Have you ever had those moments where you are looking down on yourself, watching your actions in disbelief that they are yours?  Wanting to stop what you are doing, but can't because you don't want to lose face, or just don't know how to?  Well that's the ego people:)  I must say, it really is an empowering feeling when you just stop and say, "I am wrong."  To admit that you don't know, or you made a mistake, is a respectable quality. 

I had a conversation with my lovely sister, Amira Hanafi, about this recently.  I made a comment, she argued against it, and even though I realized in my head as I made the comment that I didn't agree with it, I still felt I needed to prove that it was a correct statement.  Sometimes when you formulate your thoughts into words, and speak them aloud, they don't sound the same as they did in your head. That's what makes writing so nice...you can always read it over and rewrite it.

Anyway, we argued for a bit, and then I finally came to the epiphany that I could admit that I didn't agree with myself.  I didn't agree with what I was saying, and that was ok.  Speaking can be like writing, you can respeak:)  I remember the happiness on my sister's face, not for being "right", but for that moment of growth that she witnessed.  I'll never forget that smile:):):)

So the next time you feel yourself hovering over your body, looking down and wondering what the hell is going on, just stop yourself.  Stop.  Let it go.  And take note of that feeling.  You'll be glad you did:)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment