Monday, October 3, 2011

Settling In

For the past two weeks, I have been settling in.  I really can't believe so much has happened in such a short period of time.  I have already begun working; I am currently tutoring 2 students that both go to American schools.  They are Egyptian born, but both speak perfect English.  One is a 14 year old boy who I am tutoring Algebra and Chemistry to.  The other is an 11 year old girl who I am tutoring English and Math. So these two gigs for now are supplementing my income as I begin to do the volunteer work and projects I hope to do while I am here.

It turns out that the mother of my 14 year old student is the principal at a private American School here.  That is some luck!!!  In the times that I have come to her home, I have been able to discuss projects I am interested in doing here in Cairo in the school system and orphanages.  I introduced her to Khan Academy, which if you haven't checked out, you must (khanacademy.org)!  She is thrilled about it.  I discussed doing a pilot program in her school as a way to begin my own practice of using this tool in the classroom, and then bringing it into the orphanages in Cairo (teachaclass.org).

I have also discussed with her the possibility of doing some sort of exchange with the students from the US and the the Egyptian students in her school.  Maybe penpals, emails, skype dates, not sure just yet, but working on it.  I want the students in the US to understand that Egyptians don't ride on camels to school, and for Egyptian students to understand that Americans aren't rolling around in money.  For some reason I have the perception that this is how these students feel.  I don't know if that is true.  I guess we need to ask them!

I have also discussed with her if the school has done any work with the children on the uprising and current revolution.  If they have had discussions to see how they are feeling, how it has affected them?  She says they have not.  I think that it is imperative we reach out to these kids and discuss with them how they see what is going on, and document it.

I have visited the low-income area here that my sister works at, Artellewa.  The artist in residency that she co-runs (with Hamdy) used to have an art workshop for children to voluntarily come to on Fridays (these children do not have art in their schools).  It hasn't been happening, so i am really excited to say that I will be running this workshop now.  I will be finding artists in Egypt to run workshops for children who wouldn't otherwise have this available to them.

My sister, Hamdy, and I discussed bringing the American school children together with the students in Artellewa to do a joint art project.  These children live only miles from one another and they most likely will never cross paths due to their economic statuses.  I have thought about them doing an art project reflective of their experiences in the revolution.  Maybe a mural!  I have also discussed this with the principal, and she is excited about this idea!

Today, Hamdy and I will be visiting an NGO, "Women in Society."  This NGO has been working to get into the public school system here in Egypt; specifically in all girls schools in Artellewa.  Our goal today is to find out information of how to enter these schools and the challenges that come along with it.  I want to bring art into these schools because unfortunately it isn't offered, and art workshops that Artellewa used to offer, the girls have stopped coming to (a main reason is that parents do not want their maturing girls to socialize with boys).  So let's bring it to them!!!

So in the "time" I have been here, this is what I have been up to.  I would love suggestions, brainstormings, feedback on my ideas!!! Please, the more thoughts flowing, the better these projects can become.
 


2 comments:

  1. It seems like the current political reality over there has opened up endless opportunities. I can't think of a better person to take advantage of this than you!

    ReplyDelete