Saturday, October 22, 2011

Growth

Change is difficult.  Change creates growth.  I question why I moved to Egypt...what exactly I am doing here.  I am questioned daily on my decision to leave the incredible place I was living.  And it pushes me to think about my life, who I am, and why I make the decisions I do.

For me it was time to understand who I am more.  To connect with the Egyptian in me.  So much of my home life I didn't understand growing up in the States.  And here I am discovering where certain traits of my personality have developed.  I have noticed that many ways in which I act are Egyptian.

In the States, I am asked where the origin of my name is from.  And I am identified as an Arab.  In Egypt, people are confused to hear my name, in disbelief that I could be an Egyptian.  People stare at my face and say it isn't possible.  But alas, it is.

So I have begun to tell people I am Amani.  I am not one nor the other, and it is not necessary to figure me out.  I feel very lucky to be who I am, to have been born where I was born, to have been raised how I was raised.  I am happy to be Amani.

And along this journey I have begun, I have encountered many "like" me.  And shared experiences of confusion, displacement, difference, and pride.  And it is with these feelings, and these connections, that I feel growth.  Growth in understanding myself, where I have come from, where I am, and that there is absolutely no need to be a specific part of anything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment